Tuesday, January 22, 2019

In The Beginning

Two reasons for the title: 
1) I'm now studying the Old Testament. I've gone through it before, but that was in High School and not in earnest. I now have more spiritual knowledge (as well as a nearby study manual and scripture-wiz-husband) to back me up.
2) This is a new beginning of blogging for me. I used to blog consistently, and I'm discovering I miss it. I've been feeling out of sync with myself in adjusting to mommy life, so, with the start of the new year, my husband helped me make some resolutions that will help me be more in tune with myself. Here are those "beginnings":

  • When baby takes a nap, open my journal and just start writing.
  • Work on not automatically contradicting others
    • nor myself
    • and also on not interrupting others mid-thought
  • When I'm at work, be at work by reminding myself that:
    • I can trust my husband's parenting.
    • Baby will ultimately be fine.
    • There's nothing I can do about what's happening at home at this moment, so enjoy being here because I do actually like my job.
  • Do something to help my body feel better each day
  • Write thoughts each time I study the scriptures
That last one is the majority of the reason I'm writing this post. I want to document the things I learn as I study. Here are a few thoughts from today:

Leviticus 1:
The ancient law of sacrifice dictates that a true sacrificial offering must be (according to this chapter):
  1. a burnt sacrifice
  2. a male without blemish
  3. voluntary
  4. taken to the door of the tabernacle
  5. cut into pieces
  6. in order
  7. washed in water
We can think about these things, of course, as they apply to Jesus Christ. He was a male without blemish. His sacrifice was entirely voluntary. He frequented the temple, cleansed it, and taught people both in and near it. His flesh was cut (or, more precisely, torn). He was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness" and was thus washed with water. As He obeyed His Father's will, all things were in order. I haven't quite figured out the symbolism of burning the sacrifice yet--maybe it has something to do with the fire of the Holy Spirit.

Another thing that stuck out to me was that the sacrifice must be "of the flock." I took this to mean that it couldn't be just any old sheep or calf, but instead must be of the flock of the shepherd. It must be dear to the one offering it, just as Christ, being the firstborn son of the Father, was dear to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment