Tuesday, January 26, 2010

British Bulldog

I wrote this one for English too, but it makes me laugh so I'm putting it here :)


And yes, this event was at The Queen's birthday party :)

We are standing in two lines on opposite sides of the churchyard. All listening intently for the next call. A number is yelled out. One person from each line darts to the center, aiming for the target. Scrambling, shuffling, dragging, tackle. People shout and jump, yelling out suggestions and acting like maniacs. The object makes it past a boundary line. They have won this round.

We realign and wait again, anxiously. Some praying their number isn’t called. Some like wildcats ready to pounce. I wait in fear that I’ll hear my number. Another number. Not mine, but I watch as another tackling ensues. This pattern continues. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose.

Then that dreaded moment. My number is yelled, I reflexively jump to action. My team mate and I are against two from the other team. I quickly analyze my competition. The one person I can really play this game with. My own sister. I go for her. I soon realize being in the mess is just as bad as anticipating it, maybe worse. Talk about gnashing of teeth. No one is getting that object anywhere. And she bit me! Pretty soon more players are called in. This is insane. Shoving, rolling, blocking, so much confusion. I can’t even tell what’s happening. Then we stop, everyone panting. Someone succeeded. I’m too disoriented and out breath to tell who.

No comments:

Post a Comment